Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cultural Distinctions...

So in an earlier post, on moving back from Japan, I wondered if and how I would adapt back into life in western society... while living in Hawaii could be argued that it's not quite 'western' it's quite closer to a western society than Japan... so I was talking to a friend tonight on the phone, and we were talking about how people walk around wearing Bluetooth ear-pieces... and I was reminded of how when I first got back to the states, that's one of the first things I noticed in the airport.  I don't know if I wrote about it, but I distinctly remember a very large black man, (and by large I mean tall and muscular) and quite well dressed I might add, pacing back and forth in the United terminal at Chicago O'hare about something obviously very important to him, and it almost as felt as if he was trying to make it seem important to his unwilling, captive audience.  I remember thinking it was such a spectacle, this guy, just carrying on like the whole terminal was his office, and we were invading... then of course, the guy sitting behind me piped up and started talking about his next visit to Idaho and various romantic interludes to one of his buddies.  It struck me at the time how completely loud and obnoxious these people were on their personal communication devices, and literally seemed to have no regard for the ears and thoughts and minds of people around them.  Maybe being that I've lived on a boat with 5,000 other dudes all within 1,000 feet of each other for months at a time... I kind of learned some self-restraint in the whole personal space issue.  Granted.  But I like to also contribute what I like to think is personal self-restraint to the fact that I lived in one of the most polite, kind, modern-day societies in the world.  At least on the surface anyway.  Regardless, a friend and I were laughing tonight at how silly people look and sound when they walk around with these contraptions on their ears and almost seem to project an air of importance.  But really they just look ridiculous.  I drove by a guy today gesturing and talking so animatedly I would have passed him off for a certifiable card-carrying lunatic deep in conversation with his alter-ego had I not noticed that bluetooth on his ear.  But I must admit... I have one.  But it's use is strictly confined to driving.  Or sometimes if I'm in a conversation, I'll wear it from my car to my condo... but none of this wandering around in public.  Heck, even if I only have my cell phone, I still like to excuse myself when I receive a call and at least go into another room or outside.  I read once that proper cell-phone etiquette dictates that you should only talk on your cell phone in places where you would have no problem belting out in song at the top of your voice.

So... is that a cultural issue... something that I brought back from Japan?  I have noticed recently that I have become a little less averse to talking on my phone in public, but I still like to do it away from the earshot of others just so they don't have to listen to my conversation... Who knows. Stay tuned, next week, a lesson on proper shopping cart driving behavior... what?

Now that I've got the filler out of the way...

One of the most interesting individuals that I know... a person whom I have a great deal of respect for and value his friendship tremendously, has a website.  He's one of the most talented artists I've ever met.  I shared my blog with him today, and asked if I could share his with you.  He agreed, so here it is:  musketmedia.  You've got to check it out... his command of the watercolor medium is well above average for those of you art connoisseurs out there.  He's also pretty good at counting to 100 considering he graduated from a service academy.  Anyway- check his site out.  It's well worth it if you've got the time.

3 comments:

Ve said...

See, you're not a socially inept weirdo. You are one of the few people who have phone etiquette. I loved your friend's paintings. I think watercolor is my favorite medium. Thanks for sharing!

Matthew Bradley said...

It's been awhile since I lived outside the US, and people's lack of cell phone etiquette drives me nuts. Sitting in our little kitchen today at lunch here at the church our IT guy starts to ask a question. It had been total silence as we all worked on our sudoku from the Dallas Morning News. I looked up, assuming he was addressing me, as did the other lady at the table, and then we looked at each other as we both grasped about the same time that he was on his cell phone.

I laughed at your "certifiable" comment. I've often thought that. In Izmir, Turkey there was this old Turkish man outside the American High School that was always waving his arms and having animated conversations with no one. We called him "the Professor". I think of him every time I see someone walking toward me having an animated conversation with (apparently) themselves.

I don't have the bluetooth earpiece just yet (soon in Dallas we won't be able to drive while talking on a cell phone unless it's hands free, so I'm sure there is one in my future, if not here in Dallas, someday and somewhere).

Anonymous said...

Sup, sup!? Thanks for the link and the kind words about the site/art. I have three ear roach clips (one with interchangeable shell colors!) and what comes after 100?