Thursday, July 5, 2007

This American Life and the Yoshida Brothers...

So since the iPod gained it's ubiquitous status as the ultimate in mobile entertainment... I've really gotten into podcasts.  Especially with the fact that living in Japan, there is only one full-time english station, and it's run by the military- so it's slightly akin to heavy doses of propaganda in between songs.  It literally gives me dry heaves sometimes when I listen to it... I mean, the messages sound harmless enough... you know- public service announcement type commercials... don't use tobacco, be nice to the locals, don't get into debt, don't sexually harass your co-workers... you know- average rules of normal societal living that most humans abide by.  Of course they throw in the Orweillian messages in there with it as well... pay your government credit card on time... don't talk about your ship or units movement etc., etc., but after about 2 days of driving around listening to that makes a person of average intellect want to go insane... so fortunately for me, right around the time I was about to go postal after the 2,245th 'be nice to the locals' message, I discovered this beautiful device called the iPod, as well as the plethora of media offered by the iTunes music store (for free!) called Podcasts.  My daily intake consists of CNN and ABC News Nightline Podcasts, and my weekly intake consists of mostly NPR shows... This American Life, 'Wait, Wait, don't tell me!', the Car Talk Guys, and All Things Considered.  The greatest part about Podcasts, is that they don't have commercials, I can pause them for whatever reason, and well, I can take them anywhere on my iPod.  It's great.
This American Life with Ira Glass is probably my favorite right now.  If you haven't had a chance to check him out- do so the next chance you get.  It's an amazing and insightful look into the lives of Americans.
Also- the Yoshida Brothers- the guys that play the music for the Nintendo Wii Commercials.  They rock... I just bought one of their CD's here in Narita Airport.  Well, I'm signing off for now- time to go fly back to the states, and restart 'My American Life'

Cheers-

No comments: